RICE

Chat about anything football related here!
palerider

Re: RICE

Post by palerider »

Whiskyman wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:01 pm
palerider wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:13 am

So where have these rumours come from ?

Have the media just made them up for the sake of it ?
Does a rumour have to come from anywhere ? Or at least anywhere reliable. We only have to look at some of the hysteria generated on fan forums (all clubs) to realise that there are many gullible souls out there who believe absolutely everything they find on the blogosphere.
True but these are from 'respected' journalists. Matt Law, who seems to be the main protaganist is a Villa fan. NM has said he's also paid by a Chelsea site to do the odd snippet but I can't personally see him stirring up an agenda to get Rice on the District Line without outside influences.

No smoke without fire imo.

He'll go. I just hope he wears Sky blue next season.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

palerider wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:07 pm
Whiskyman wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:01 pm

Does a rumour have to come from anywhere ? Or at least anywhere reliable. We only have to look at some of the hysteria generated on fan forums (all clubs) to realise that there are many gullible souls out there who believe absolutely everything they find on the blogosphere.
True but these are from 'respected' journalists. Matt Law, who seems to be the main protaganist is a Villa fan. NM has said he's also paid by a Chelsea site to do the odd snippet but I can't personally see him stirring up an agenda to get Rice on the District Line without outside influences.

Of course he'll be off. Why wouldn't he ? Hopefully we will have another good season but even if we do there's no way we can compete with the big boys when it comes to the potential to win major honours which he wants to do.

I don't necessarily think the articles like the one's we read about Rice, Kane , Grealish etc are necessarily part of an agenda. More a case of seeing a big fish in a small pond and building a story around it to fill column inches.

There are very few clubs who aren't selling clubs. If Arsenal continue to struggle I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that Saka will start to be written about in similar terms to Rice.simply because he is an established international playing for a club, at the moment, who at their present level can't provide him with the opportunity to challenge for the top trophies.
Why Is There Only One Monopolies Commission. Isn't That A Monopoly?

BlackDiamond

Post by BlackDiamond »

Whiskyman wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:17 pm
palerider wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:07 pm

Of course he'll be off. Why wouldn't he ? Hopefully we will have another good season but even if we do there's no way we can compete with the big boys when it comes to the potential to win major honours which he wants to do.

I don't necessarily think the articles like the one's we read about Rice, Kane , Grealish etc are necessarily part of an agenda. More a case of seeing a big fish in a small pond and building a story around it to fill column inches.

There are very few clubs who aren't selling clubs. If Arsenal continue to struggle I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that Saka will start to be written about in similar terms to Rice.simply because he is an established international playing for a club, at the moment, who at their present level can't provide him with the opportunity to challenge for the top trophies.
How about Saka to Man City with Sterling going the other way - that might put a fly in Gareth Southgate's ointment

Deal done in January...you didn't read it here first

h69

Post by h69 »

Whiskyman wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:54 am
h69 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:15 am The obsession with Rice, his contract and the release clause is ridiculous at the moment
Every day there are new videos about Rice and this release clause and how it will solve the situation.

At the end of the day, the guy wants to go and win trophies at a top 4 club. He is probably at the stage of his career now where he has outgrown us whether we like it or not.

We have overpriced him at £100m to stop anyone wanting to buy him. It worked and forced Chelsea to look at Saul and he remains with us.

We have two choices now. Try and hold onto him and see his value decrease as his contract runs down or sell him next summer preferably for a price that is fair that other clubs will pay but where we get a good deal. That is the best option for someone who wants to go and and get better. I hope City come in for him.

This obsession by people to get him to sign a new contract with a release clause FFS. All that means is he can leave next summer for a price of HIS choosing which is likely to be lower so he can be sure to get the move. So the new contract is pretty much worth nothing and all the while we will end up paying him more just for one year.

We have to accept he wants to leave next year and sell him but with our terms not his. I like the lad but he should not dictate how much he leaves for.
A contract is mainly for the benefit of the employing club in today's game. As you say the longer the contract the greater the transfer fee that can be demanded. Unfortunately giving a player a long contract can backfire spectacularly as it did when we extended Reid's deal some years ago.

Tbh it's pretty clear Rice will leave next summer and we need to come to terms with that. Frankly I'm more concerned that Fornals will start attracting the sort of attention Rice is now getting if he continues performing at the level he has reached.
I agree about Fornals, I think he would sign an improved contract and we should look at that. Giving Rice a new contract with a release clause does not benefit the club at all unless he is happy the release clause is huge in which case, why bother ?

@hd1, I have not said anyone has punted him around nor that he has asked to leave. I have merely pointed out that as he is refusing to sign a new contract without a release clause, it is evident he wants the ability to move in the future for a lower value than the club valued him at this summer while at the same time getting a longer contract with a higher wage. Sorry, but why should we bother doing that.

Either he commits to the club for his wage rise (so new contract and no get out clause) and we decide when he leaves or he doesn't commit and we sell him next summer which is the optimum time to get a big fee given the length of his deal.

Newmarket

Post by Newmarket »

h69 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 12:36 pm

A contract is mainly for the benefit of the employing club in today's game. As you say the longer the contract the greater the transfer fee that can be demanded. Unfortunately giving a player a long contract can backfire spectacularly as it did when we extended Reid's deal some years ago.

Tbh it's pretty clear Rice will leave next summer and we need to come to terms with that. Frankly I'm more concerned that Fornals will start attracting the sort of attention Rice is now getting if he continues performing at the level he has reached.
I agree about Fornals, I think he would sign an improved contract and we should look at that. Giving Rice a new contract with a release clause does not benefit the club at all unless he is happy the release clause is huge in which case, why bother ?

@hd1, I have not said anyone has punted him around nor that he has asked to leave. I have merely pointed out that as he is refusing to sign a new contract without a release clause, it is evident he wants the ability to move in the future for a lower value than the club valued him at this summer while at the same time getting a longer contract with a higher wage. Sorry, but why should we bother doing that.

Either he commits to the club for his wage rise (so new contract and no get out clause) and we decide when he leaves or he doesn't commit and we sell him next summer which is the optimum time to get a big fee given the length of his deal.
100% your last paragraph .
Bring back Jonathon !

palerider

Post by palerider »

Newmarket wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:42 pm

Or we could blackmail him.

Some rohypnol in his post-match tizer then waking up in Karren's boudoir at 3am chained to the bed in a Donald Duck outfit with her as nature intended apart from an SS cap and thigh boots.

And with a pack of dachsunds.

I've heard the dwarf's been taking photography classes.

h69

Post by h69 »

palerider wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:19 pm
Newmarket wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:42 pm

Or we could blackmail him.

Some rohypnol in his post-match tizer then waking up in Karren's boudoir at 3am chained to the bed in a Donald Duck outfit with her as nature intended apart from an SS cap and thigh boots.

And with a pack of dachsunds.

I've heard the dwarf's been taking photography classes.
:lol: :lol: :lol: I've just spat my coffee out reading that !

Is the baby-eating Bishop of Bath and Wells available ?

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

One would hope that, with the arrival of our new DOF or whatever his title is going to be, we already have a succession plan in place and are identifying replacements for when Rice leaves.

h69

Post by h69 »

Whiskyman wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:25 pm

One would hope that, with the arrival of our new DOF or whatever his title is going to be, we already have a succession plan in place and are identifying replacements for when Rice leaves.
I'm sure Moyes knows who he would replace him with as his due diligence is pretty good and while I like Declan, he is not irreplaceable and we will have to move on when he leaves. Just dont get the obsession with offering him a contract with more wages with a get out clause in it so he can leave on the cheap.

Whiskyman

Post by Whiskyman »

h69 wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:27 pm
Whiskyman wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:25 pm

I'm sure Moyes knows who he would replace him with as his due diligence is pretty good and while I like Declan, he is not irreplaceable and we will have to move on when he leaves. Just dont get the obsession with offering him a contract with more wages with a get out clause in it so he can leave on the cheap.
The only party who benefits from a get out clause is the player. Unless the price of the get out is so high that it is a waste of time anyway.